The Project Manager position lies within the Project Management (PM) Department of Sun Tribe Solar, which is responsible for engineering, procurement, construction, and commissioning of all projects. The PM Department has the essential function of procuring and administering EPC Agreements and subcontract agreements with the objective of delivering commercially operating assets.
The Project Manager role provides office-based project management leadership of utility and commercial-scale solar PV (roof, ground, and carport) and energy storage projects, ensuring that projects are delivered safely, on time, within budget, and according Sun Tribe Solar’s industry leading quality standards.
The Project Manager reports to the Director of Project Management and will typically have a small team of one or two personnel which they directly manage.
The position is located at the Sun Tribe offices in Charlottesville, Virginia.
- Recognize that safety is the paramount function; be proactive and steadfast; plan for safety.
- Be accountable for execution of company and OSHA safety policies on and off construction sites, ensuring that all employees follow safe practices while working.
- Lead and support the site team; ensure new personnel and visitors to site receive job- and task-specific training
- Identify and mitigate or eliminate existing and potential hazards; contribute to the development and implementation of corrective and preventative measures; continually improve individual, project and Company safety postures.
- Direct and guide the project team, ensuring that project objectives and priorities are understood, and that strategic plans are executed.
- Build and maintain project momentum and morale.
- Communicate effectively to a broad range of stakeholders, including the company’s internal management team; manage expectations; provide status reports internally and externally; facilitate meetings; produce mutually desirable outcomes predictably.
- Follow established processes to ensure that plan implementation is consistent across the project team and the Project Management Department; challenge established processes in pursuit of perpetual improvement.
- Provide a constructive and engaging work environment by:
- Aligning individual and team objectives to department and company objectives;
- Managing and supporting employee growth and development;
- Providing regular and direct feedback on performance progress.
- Ensure that training is provided, as needed, and that relevant certifications are maintained.
- Develop and manage the project execution plan; coordinate project kick-off meetings (internal and external).
- Develop, maintain, re-assess, and leverage comprehensive project schedules; actively use schedules to plan and manage work, including labor, equipment and material requirements.
- Prepare and submit all non-discretionary permit applications to local, state and federal authorities having jurisdiction; obtain permits; maintain full compliance with all permits at all times.
- Develop and maintain risk response plans; implement as needed.
- Develop RFP packages, administer RFP processes, evaluate proposals, value engineer, negotiate contracts and subcontracts.
- Follow a logical framework to prepare and present recommendations and plans: identify and analyze issues; develop and assess options; coordinate and resolve; present and follow-through.
- Manage the project quality control program to ensure that processes are consistently implemented according to the plan; deliver the specified product.
- Coordinate system commissioning and performance testing with the Sun Tribe-internal quality and engineering departments, utilities, owners, third-party engineers and others.
- Warranties: understand, preserve, secure, issue and transfer them.
- Work in collaboration with Development Engineers to review the estimate and allocate estimated items to the final project budget.
- Manage project budgets; report weekly costs-to-date, estimated costs to complete, committed costs, cost risks and mitigation strategies, cost-saving opportunities, etc.
- Interface with accounting department in order to process incoming and outgoing invoices and forecast and manage project cash flows.
- Ensure Sun Tribe site personnel are procuring materials, equipment, and labor in accordance with the project budget.
- Stakeholder Management
- Provide excellence in the management and delivery of the project, in-line with the expectations of key stakeholders.
- Strengthen and continuously maintain the client relationship.
- Manage partners, including subcontractors, vendors and consultants, who support project execution.
- Contract Management
- Effectively manage contracts (prime, subcontracts, purchase orders) including exhibits and ancillary documents; effectively manage change orders
- Manage system interconnection agreement requirements with the local utility.
- Empower project team to understand and make decisions based on contract terms.
- Draft, review, manage, and improve subcontracts; identify and negotiate key terms; manage risk.
- Monitor and control changes.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND QUALITIES
- Honest, reliable, tactful, respectful, and conscientious
- Self-motivated to perpetually improve as an individual, to help others improve, and to contribute to improvement as part of a team
- Ability to leverage project management software such as MS Project (or equivalent CPM scheduling software), MS Excel, Smartsheets, and construction management platforms such as Procore
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong personal organizational skills to manage time, prioritize effectively, and manage multiple tasks, projects, and deadlines.
- Ability to lead and work well with others in a collaborative team environment; capable of delegating effectively; capable of inspiring others to action.
- Familiarity with commercial and utility scale solar and energy storage:
- Construction safety regulations.
- Construction means and methods; best practices.
- Quality assurance and control measures.
- Experience managing EPC agreements and subcontracts.
- Experience drafting formal notices, negotiating change orders, and participating in or managing legal disputes with construction, procurement, and other various disciplines.
- 5+ years of construction and/or project management experience, with 2+ years in commercial or utility scale solar construction project management, in a lead project manager role.
- Preference to candidates who hold or are in the process of obtaining:
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification through the Project Management Institute
- Procore certification(s)
- NABCEP PV Installer Specialist certification
- Technical sales certifications
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, business, engineering or other technical field; Master’s Degree preferred
- Current, valid Driver’s License, eligible for corporate vehicle insurance coverage.
- Legally entitled to reside and work in the US without restriction
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter directly to [email protected] with the subject line ‘Project Manager’
Sun Tribe is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief.
Sun Tribe Solar is a drug-free workplace.