The Director of Project Engineering has broad responsibility for the management of the Project Engineering Department as well as overall accountability for the planning and execution of the functions within this department.
At Sun Tribe Solar, we are building a team of the brightest and most passionate individuals and giving them an environment to freely think, create, grow and thrive, resulting in innovative and forward-thinking approaches to solar. The Project Engineering team’s primary goal is to progress solar PV and energy storage projects from discretionary permitting through construction by designing enduring, practical, safe, technically advanced, and cost-effective projects from 100kW to 20MW in size. Utilizing both internal and external design and engineering resources, the Project Engineering team creates and reviews construction drawing sets, develops bills of materials, accurately model PV system performance and provides technical support to filed crews during construction.
The Director Project Engineering reports directly to the Vice President of Engineering.
- Establish and promote core values of the department as well as company-wide values
- Set strategic direction and vision for the department that aligns with company-wide objectives
- Set department goals and measure performance against goals
- Manage the department’s interaction with the broader organization by representing the department in executive decision making, negotiating interdepartmental challenges, and communicating regularly back to team members relevant information regarding the company-at large and other departments
- Control expenses and human resources decisions for the department
- Organize workflows, establish SOPs and assign accountability
- Manage ALL department team members by ensuring well-being, defining individual success, linking individual success to department and company success, securing necessary resources to allow individual success, and encouraging professional growth
- Continuously improve the department’s capability
- Responsible for difficult, high-risk or complex decisions required of the department, elevating when necessary
- Coordinate closely with Development Engineering, Preconstruction, and Project Management on project deliverables and schedules
- Manage civil, electrical and structural design subcontractors
- Manage relationships, MSA’s, schedules and costs associated with external partners
- Develop standards, processes, and metrics to guide Project Engineering
- Guide and manage the development of specifications for major plant equipment including transformers, switchgear, inverters, battery systems and SCADA equipment
- Work with equipment suppliers and integrators to develop custom equipment solutions
- Oversee and review system designs, drawing packages, and performance models
- Continually seek new equipment and design methodologies for PV and energy storage systems
- Provide field support when necessary to solve technical problems, communicate design details, and perform quality control walk-throughs
- Participate in project level strategic reviews
- Other duties, as assigned
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Civil, Electrical, Structural, or Mechanical) or Engineering Management
- Proven working experience in engineering for 6 or more years, including 2 or more years in management or leadership roles
- Strong preference for candidates with experience in the solar PV industry
- Proven ability to lead and manage technical teams
- Strong understanding of the solar PV industry
- Strong understanding of physical, electrical, and structural construction plans
- Strong MS Excel skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to work well with others in a collaborative team environment
- Honest, reliable, self-aware and conscientious
- Strong Planning, organization and prioritization skills
- Valid state driver’s license, clean DMV driving record
- Currently holds or is in the process of obtaining NABCEP Certification
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter directly to [email protected] with the subject line ‘Director of Project Engineering’
Sun Tribe is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief.
Sun Tribe Solar is a drug-free workplace.