The Director of Development Engineering has broad responsibility for the management of the Commercial Development Engineering Department as well as overall accountability for the planning and execution of the functions within this department. At Sun Tribe Solar, we are building a team of the brightest and most passionate individuals and giving them an environment to freely think, create, grow and thrive, resulting in innovative and forward-thinking approaches to solar. Development Engineering’s primary goal is to enable sales through thoughtful client interaction, the creation of technically feasible PV designs, accurate forecasting of production and cost, iterative value engineering, and the introduction of innovative technical solutions on projects ranging from 200kW to 5MW in size.
The Director of Development Engineering reports directly to the Vice President of Engineering.
- Establish and promote core values of the department as well as company-wide values
- Set strategic direction and vision for the department that aligns with company-wide objectives
- Set department goals and measure performance against goals
- Manage the department’s interaction with the broader organization by representing the department in executive decision making, negotiating interdepartmental challenges, and communicating regularly back to team members relevant information regarding the company-at large and other departments
- Control expenses and human resources decisions for the department
- Organize workflows, establish SOPs and assign accountability
- Manage ALL department team members by ensuring well-being, defining individual success, linking individual success to department and company success, securing necessary resources to allow individual success, and encouraging professional growth
- Continuously improve the department’s capability
- Responsible for difficult, high-risk or complex decisions required of the department, elevating when necessary
- Coordinate closely with Commercial Development and Preconstruction on project deliverables and schedules
- Manage relationships, MSA’s, schedules and costs associated with external partners
- Oversee and review preliminary system designs, drawing packages, and performance models
- Develop standards, processes, and metrics to guide development engineering
- Guide and review cost/benefit analysis of design and technology variants to optimize economic and performance outcomes
- Continually seek new equipment and design methodologies for PV and energy storage systems
- Support the evaluation and selection of equipment to optimize system economics, functionality, reliability, and safety
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Civil, Electrical, Structural, or Mechanical)
- Proven working experience as a project or development engineer for 6 or more years in the commercial, industrial or utility-scale solar PV industry, including 2 or more years in management or leadership roles.
- Proven ability to lead and manage technical teams
- Strong understanding of the solar PV industry
- Strong understanding of physical, electrical, and structural construction plans
- Strong MS Excel skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to work well with others in a collaborative team environment
- Honest, reliable, self-aware and conscientious
- Strong Planning, organization and prioritization skills
- Valid state driver’s license, clean DMV driving record
- Currently holds or is in the process of obtaining NABCEP Certification
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter directly to [email protected] with the subject line ‘Director of Project Engineering’
Sun Tribe is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief.
Sun Tribe Solar is a drug-free workplace.