At Sun Tribe Solar, we are building a team of the brightest and most passionate individuals and giving them an environment to freely think, create, grow and thrive, resulting in innovative and forward-thinking approaches to solar. The Project Engineering team’s primary goal is to progress solar PV and energy storage projects from discretionary permitting through construction by designing enduring, practical, safe, technically advanced, and cost-effective projects from 1MW to 20MW in size.
As a Systems Engineer within the Project Engineering team at Sun Tribe, you will be responsible for racking, modules, inverter selection, finalized system layout, PV system design (DC stringing, inverter configuration), Production model, and EPC budget. You will develop the final system design and coordinate with electrical project engineers by iterating system design variables which optimize project costs and asset value.
Candidates must demonstrate keen interest and knowledge of the solar PV industry and a proven ability to efficiently and effectively multi-task in a team-oriented, fast-paced environment. The Systems Engineer reports directly to the Director of Project Engineering.
SYSTEM DESIGN & PERFORMANCE MODELING
- Act as subject matter expert for production modeling within the company – Create and maintain accurate system performance models in PVsyst and Helioscope
- Perform system design and optimization for utility-scale photovoltaic (PV) power plants utilizing storage, tracker, medium voltage, and other technologies
- Conduct solar resource assessment using both ground-based and satellite data
- Predict PV energy production and system performance for potential and contracted projects
- Estimate multi-year plant production figures to support project financial models
- Validate performance modeling tools and assumptions through data analysis and field experiments
- Review performance testing documentation to understand company requirements for contract compliance
- Supply SME opinions regarding plant performance testing and verification during contract negotiations
- Reviewing performance of operating facilities to incorporate needed changes to design drawings
- Supply SME opinions to contractual performance guarantees of PV plant production output during contract negotiations
SUPPORTING BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
- Own project costing and estimating for RFP responses to incoming projects
- Perform Value Engineering and analysis for energy model production and installation costs
- Evaluate site constraint plans for technical and economic feasibility
- Develop and progress PV system layouts using civil, environmental, permitting, and interconnection
- Evaluate and select equipment to optimize system economics, functionality, reliability, constructability, and safety
- Verify project drawings including site plans, system layout, one lines, cable management, and equipment installation details
- Bid and manage outside engineering consultants through the project lifecycle
- Ensure adherence and compliance to the established interconnection process for responsible projects
- Review engineering submittals for proposals, permits, and construction
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrated experience designing and modeling utility scale ground mounted solar facilities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (Civil, Electrical, Structural, or Mechanical)
- Minimum of 2 years working in the engineering of utility scale solar projects in the US.
- Ability to provide expert-level demonstrated PV system performance modeling experience in PVsyst and Helioscope
- Understanding of the NEC, IBC, IFC, and other relevant electrical & building codes as they pertain to solar PV design Strong understanding of physical, electrical, and structural construction plans
- Software experience: AutoCAD, AutoCAD Civil 3D, ArcGIS (or similar), PVCase, MS Excel
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to work well with others in a collaborative team environment
- Honest, reliable, self-aware and conscientious
- Strong Planning, organization and prioritization skills
- Valid state driver’s license, clean DMV driving record
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter directly to [email protected] with the subject line “Senior Systems Engineer”
# # #
Sun Tribe is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief.
Sun Tribe Solar is a drug-free workplace.