At Sun Tribe Solar, we are building a team of the brightest and most passionate individuals and giving them an environment to freely think, create, grow and thrive, resulting in innovative and forward-thinking approaches to solar. The Project Engineering team’s primary goal is to progress solar PV and energy storage projects from discretionary permitting through construction by designing enduring, practical, safe, technically advanced, and cost-effective projects from 100kW to 10MW in size. Utilizing both internal and external design and engineering resources, the Project Engineering team creates and reviews construction drawing sets, develops bills of materials, models PV system performance, provides technical support to filed crews during construction, and evaluates system performance metrics. As a Senior Project Engineer at Sun Tribe, you will act as both the responsible technical lead on assigned projects and technical subject matter expert for the EPC team.
Candidates must demonstrate keen interest and knowledge of the solar PV industry and a proven ability to efficiently and effectively multi-task in a team-oriented, fast-paced environment. The Project Engineer reports directly to the Director of Project Engineering.
- Demonstrate technical ownership of responsible projects from NTP through construction
- Evaluate site constraint plans for technical and economic feasibility
- Perform due diligence for acquired projects
- Develop and progress PV system layouts using civil, environmental, permitting, and interconnection considerations.
- Evaluate and select equipment to optimize system economics, functionality, reliability, constructability, and safety
- Perform cost/benefit analysis of design and construction variants to optimize economic and performance outcomes
- Create and maintain accurate system performance models in PVsyst and Helioscope
- Perform arc-flash risk assessments on AC and DC equipment
- Compile engineering submittals for proposals, permits and construction
- Manage the interconnection process for responsible projects
- Bid and manage outside engineering consultants through the project lifecycle
- Review and comment on internal and external engineering submittals and design packages to ensure adherence to technical specifications, production targets, constructability, and project goals
- Create and review project drawings including site plans, system layout, and one lines
- Create project and equipment specifications and Bills of Material
- Coordinate technical site visits and the gathering of engineering inputs during the design process
- Provide field support when necessary to solve technical problems, communicate design details, and perform quality control walk-throughs
- Review QA/QC documentation for completeness and accuracy
- Manage, process, and evaluate system performance tests
- Assist the O&M team to resolve issues
- Continually seek new equipment, design, and installation methodologies for PV systems
- Other duties, as assigned
SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTISE
- Develop and update technical specifications, design guides, and processing tools
- Deliver presentations on specific topic areas of expertise when appropriate
- Review contractor scopes of work
- Work with Construction and Asset Management to develop, implement, and maintain QA and QC procedures
- Participate in project level strategic reviews
- Oversee the review of system designs, drawing packages, and performance models
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (Civil, Electrical, Structural, or Mechanical)
- Minimum 6 years of demonstrated experience in solar PV system design
- Understanding of the NEC, IBC, IFC, and other relevant electrical & building codes as they pertain to solar PV design Strong understanding of physical, electrical, and structural construction plans
- PV system performance modeling in PVsyst or Helioscope
- Software experience: Google SketchUp, AutoCAD, AutoCAD Civil 3D, ArcGIS (or similar)
- Strong MS Excel skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to work well with others in a collaborative team environment
- Honest, reliable, self-aware and conscientious
- Strong Planning, organization and prioritization skills
- Valid state driver’s license, clean DMV driving record
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION:
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter directly to [email protected] with the subject line “Senior Project Engineer”.
# # #
Sun Tribe is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief.
Sun Tribe Solar is a drug-free workplace.